Thursday, March 05, 2009

Women's Month Interviews: Adrean Darce Brent

I've known Adrean for twenty-six years (which amazes me) while we've been criss-crossing this country and Western Europe (we met in L.A., Adrean has lived in Belgium and France). Most recently we got to see each other in San Francisco. Looking forward to the next time wherever it may be!

How do we know each other?
Graduate school, films, and Thursday nights of television, drinks, Trivial Pursuit, and laughter.

How would you describe yourself?

Intelligent, warm, passionate.

In what part of the world are you located?

Southern California. Happy in general, ecstatic in winter.

Where can we find you on the web?
Facebook

What don't people know about you that they ought to know?
I strive to be creative and I'm a repressed extrovert.

What's the most common mistake people make about you?
That my quietness/shyness equals stupidity/non-caring.

What are you most proud of having accomplished so far?
That's still to be determined.

What ambitions do you have ahead of you?

To make a difference and to produce a creative piece of work.

What's the best compliment you've ever received?
That my approach to traveling alone and being open to what's out there was inspiring.

If something great happens to you, how do you celebrate?
With a good meal and the appropriate beverage.

What's your best method for coping with stress?
If possible, remove/eliminate the source of the stress. Otherwise, find a quiet time to relax and reflect, allowing the mind to wander/free associate.

What makes you laugh?

Jane Austen novels, Woody Allen films, the intonation of the voice in the London underground warning "Mind the gap", and sometimes my own irreverent take on the world.

What makes you cry?
Leaving the city I love, children being hurt, not being around to see how it all ends.

What do you love?
Books, sound of the French language, film festivals, most things chocolate, my two favorite spots on the River Seine, making friends in every place I've lived.

What do you loathe?
Senseless deaths, rigidness of thought, intolerance.

What's sexy?
Openness and humor.

What's the best advice you were ever given?
"Only by attempting the absurd can we achieve the impossible". That's from a button I use to wear - amazingly I still have it.

How should people be spending their money?
Helping the planet stay alive.

Which woman/women have inspired you?
Activists who willing risk everything to stand up for their beliefs.

If I gave you a million dollars, what would you do?

Establish trust funds for my three nieces, endow a scholarship at my undergraduate university, travel to the five continents I've yet to visit, and settle permanently in Paris, France.

Thank you so much for being part of this celebration: I treasure you!

1 comment:

Dana Fredsti said...

I have never understood how people so often equate shyness with negative qualities... I was painfully shy at one point in my life and people thought I was a snob.

ANother wonderful interview, Kate!