Friday, March 27, 2009

Women's Month Interviews: Kate Koppy

How do we know each other?
You gave me my first break! I presented in one of your sessions at PCA in Boston and then again the next year at Kazoo.

How would you describe yourself?
Earth Mother, Peacemaker, Hearth Keeper, Crone.  I am a contradiction in terms. I am an intellectual Christian, a teacher-researcher, a servant leader, a cosmopolitan country-dweller. I tip the apple cart, but I help to put the good ones back in.

In what part of the world are you located?
Southwestern Michigan is beautiful, but I miss the mountains and the ocean.

Where can we find you on the web?

Facebook and http://kolokoli.blogspot.com/

What's the most common mistake people make about you?
They think I'm arrogant or snobbish when in reality, I'm insecure. Also, just because I speak Russian doesn't mean I am Russian. Amazingly enough, Americans can learn foreign languages to a high degree of proficiency.

What are you most proud of having accomplished so far?

A marriage based on love and sustained by communication. Children who think for themselves.

What ambitions do you have ahead of you?

Someday, a PhD.

If something great happens to you, how do you celebrate?
I dance around the kitchen and crow. Then I call/e-mail/post to my best friends so they can crow with me, too.

What's your best method for coping with stress?

Chocolate and Yoga.

What makes you laugh?
Silliness, of course.

What makes you cry?
Criticism from someone whose opinion matters to me. Also, sappy movies.

What do you love?
My children and books and chocolate.

What do you loathe?
Incompetence endowed with power.

What's sexy?
A smile. The clean freshness of just-showered skin. Red wine and chocolate.

What's the best advice you were ever given?

"You don't need books in the library to tell you what you already know. Go write the paper." Bill Leap, Linguistic Anthropology, American University

How should people be spending their money?

Greg Mortenson and the Central Asia Institute

Which woman/women have inspired you?
Anne Bradstreet, the maiden without hands, Kali

If I gave you a million dollars, what would you do?
Pay. Off. Student. Loans. Give generously to Mortenson, Habitat, and UMCOR. Buy an ocean house in the US and a forest dacha in Russia. Invest and enjoy.

Thank you so much for being part of this celebration: you are fabulous!
Thank you for asking me!

No comments: