Monday, June 06, 2011

Manchester


As always, CCTV is everywhere in Britain. This is on the train from the airport to Picadilly Station. I had managed to get some sleep despite my somewhat disjointed journey that took me to Atlanta instead of NYC due to tornadoes (!?) in western Massachusetts. Oh and then there was the slight "lamination" of the engine, but it was all all right (well, after running from Terminal T to Terminal E!).


Manchester has its own carnivalesque wheel.


Of course it also has historic pubs.


My intrepid native guide David kept me from keeling over with jet lag until I could get into my hotel room and have a lie down.


I had an excellent dinner in Chinatown my first night, although there was an American businessman at the next table eagerly telling a Mancunian all about Shackleton and why he was a great example for leadership training (O_o)


This is the venue where I saw The Fall on Friday night!


Just around the corner is Affleck's which has a wild range of vendors selling all sorts of things...


...including Sailor Moon costumes (oh, Miss Wendy!)


...and this fun sculpture across the street.


Of course as a medievalist I had to pay a visit to the cathedral.


And as always, snap any reference to St. Eustace.


Wow, this camera is really crap unless you're resting your elbows on a secure surface. I tried to take a picture of one of the angels playing instruments that fill the cathedral (double headed drum) and this was the best I could do.


Great gargoyles!


Because I bought my ticket online, I didn't actually get a stub, so the stamp on my wrist was the only tangible proof I was there to see The Fall -- well, that and my ringing ears and soaked-with-sweat clothes and big grin :-) but I'll have to write that up separately. Same for Great Dunmow (with more pictures). Hello from the lobby of my hotel in London. Looks like the rain has ended, so I'm heading out.

4 comments:

That David said...

Manchester quotes:
"Manchester; So much to answer for."

"The thing about Manchester is...it all comes from here"
From Noel Gallagher, pointing to his heart. BBC2 September 1998.

"Manchester's got everything except a beach."

lan Brown

"Manchester....the belly and guts of the Nation"

From "The Road to Wigan Pier" by George Orwell.

"But this is Manchester! We do things differently here!"
Anthony H Wilson.

" But the most horrible spot .... lies....immediately south west of Oxford Road and is known as Little Ireland. The race that lives in these ruinous cottages, behind broken windows, mended with oilskin, sprung doors, and rotten door-posts, or in dark, wet cellars, in measureless filth and stench....must surely have reached the lowest stage of humanity."

From " The Condition of the Working Class in England" by Frederick Engels, 1847.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Wonderful! I had to get one of the Wilson quote postcards at the museum. Perfect -- I have to say my first trip to Manchester, albeit brief, was most satisfying :-)

That David said...

I forgot my 2nd favourite quote:

"Manchester, A city that thinks tables are for dancing on."
Mark Radcliffe.

I enjoyed that day too. When was it again? August?

C. Margery Kempe said...

Smart ass! Glad you enjoyed it :-)

That's a great quote and while I didn't get to dance on a table I could believe it to be likely to happen.