Monday, January 18, 2010

Reboot: Pelzmantel

Just about the time I was saying to myself that I really couldn't bear to hear the word "reboot" used yet again, uh, well -- I find myself needing to use it. Yes, the big news I have to share is that my novel Pelzmantel: A Medieval Tale is going to get a kickass new edition from Immanion Press. Many of you probably know Immanion as the home of magical fantasy writer, Storm Constantine. I've been a fan of her books for years and met her a couple of times and have always found her delightful. It was quite gratifying to have her say such kind things about my little book.

What's new: it will have a new essay on medieval magic, where I will explain some of the genuine charms and practices that I employed in writing this novel. Some of you may recall that I penned this while writing my dissertation; it sounds insane, but it provided a welcome break from the painstakingly detailed work of that project. I will also be able to include some short stories. I'm looking at uncollected ones -- though maybe including one from Unikirja if possible (synergy!) -- but I'd like to hear recommendations from folks about which stories they'd like to see included. I definitely think "Walpurgisnacht" would be a good companion. Others? My first thought was to focus on stories set in the past, but what about something like "The Willimantic Frogs"? What do you think?

It will also have a brand new introduction from the fabulous Liz Hand! I'm so excited. I can't wait to see what she writes.

Of course it should have a really attractive cover, too: they have some terrific cover artists at Immanion. I'm particularly partial to the ones for Storm's Grigori trilogy and the Wreatthu books.

The best thing is that I know so much more about PR and networking now than I did when this was first published. I know it's a good book and I hope this time around I'm able to generate a lot more interest and get it to the readers who will enjoy it. Having fabulous women like Liz and Storm associated with it will help, too.

UPDATE: June! Once get a clearer idea of the time line for this, I will let you all know. In the meantime, wheee!

6 comments:

The Queen said...

What fabulous news! The additions sound super cool- I'd like to see the Willi Frogs added as I really love that story.
Congratulations!!!

C. Margery Kempe said...

Thanks, Queen!

pattinase (abbott) said...

How much I admire an imagination like yours. Congrats.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Patti, that ranks right up there as about the most wonderful thing you can say about a person, as far as I'm concerned. Thank you so much!

Crispinus said...

This great news, Kate. If it were me, I would probably resist the temptation to load the book with too many extras, especially too many disparate extras, lest it detract from the power of the main story. But that's me, and my formalistic tendencies.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Well, on the other hand, Crispy, "extras" also provide added value in order to make people shell out for a new copy :-)