Thursday, January 07, 2010

BitchBuzz: Keeping Your Resolutions with Film

My latest column for BitchBuzz addressed that unsurprising problem that crops up mid-January after making those excellent resolutions:

For the first week of January you are virtuous and strong. You go to the gym every day. You wave off those who offer to share a ciggie. You even say no to that very tempting chocolate cake your co-worker slides under your nose.

But then there's week two.

Week two is when the little voices start, the ones that say things like, "You've been good every day; why not skip just this once?" or "You've denied yourself everything; a little taste can't hurt." These are the voices that take you from a momentary hesitation to the sort of decision-making that leads to green-lighting ideas like New Coke or Heaven's Gate...


As always, read the rest over at BBHQ where you'll find entertaining posts on fashion, food and tech.

I just saw Miss Pettigrew for the first time over the break (I say as if it's over, sob -- a few more days, although they're all work). I think it was Miss Wendy who recommended it, or at least said she enjoyed it when I mentioned maybe getting it from the library. I really enjoyed it -- it was exactly the kind of trifle I was hungry for. Amy Adams is just adorable, CiarĂ¡n Hinds is wonderful, and I love Frances McDormand, though I really would have loved to see any number of British actresses in the role (Brenda Blethyn anyone?!). There's almost always a kind of tightness when an American actor (even a good one, like McDormand) takes up a fake accent [exception: the best living thespian, Meryl Streep] that restricts the performance, though in this case not enough to dampen the delight of the story.

Better yet, it inspired me to get Winifred Watson's original novel, which was a HOOT! I recommend it highly. It even inspired me to write a story in the same era. If it comes to anything, you'll be sure to hear about it here.

So, have you made resolutions? How are they going so far?

2 comments:

The Queen said...

I make my resolutions as needed - at at any point of the year! So far, so good....

C. Margery Kempe said...

Anything you care to share? I tend to do the same, but January is always a good time to renew the commitment to change.