Friday, April 06, 2012

Friday's Forgotten Books: Many Happy Returns

I am doing my taxes today which leaves little time for writing at present. I am somewhat abashed to find I spent over $6300 on travel last year. As luxuries go, that's one of the best.
I have Many Happy Returns: An Unofficial Guide to Your Income Tax Problems by Groucho Marx. I believe my brother Bertie bought it for me (either that or the lovely edition of Beds or quite possibly both). Alas, it's in storage in New York (having seen what it's going for, I hope it is in the good storage and not the outdoor place), so I won't be able to quote directly. Trust me, it's fun. As the man said,"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana," so we can all say,"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it."



 
 
As always, see the round-up of recommendations at Patti's blog.

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

BED?

Todd Mason said...

Ah. BEDS, indeed. I'm not sure I've come across that one. As one satisfied Amazon US customer put it:

"I expected this book to be old and a little worn, but it was really in pretty good shape when I received it! Better than I thought it would be!"

K. A. Laity said...

Yes, a typo.

Todd Mason said...

It was new to me, singular or plural...and I am a mildly devoted Marxist. (Read the book-length Anobile interview, for example, and have the FLYWHEEL radio script collection...)

K. A. Laity said...

Ah. I have most everything. They did the Flywheel scripts on Radio 4 -- did you catch that? They're not peak Marx Bros but it was mostly odd hearing people try to do their voices which seems the wrong way to go about it.