Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday's Overlooked A/V: Evil Roy Slade

As the mobile version of Blogger leaves a lot to be desired, this will be necessarily brief and devoid of video, which you can doubtless easily google (or find via the search engine of your choice).

EVIL ROY SLADE (1972) stars the incomparable John Astin as the title character, but also features a wild assortment of fine character actors like Mickey Rooney, Dom Deluise, Henry Gibson and of course Dick Shawn as the would-be pursuer of justice with the unfortunate name, Marshal Bing Bell.

The running joke with his name amused my family to no end when I was a kid. I have a thing for a good running joke. Astin of course holds everything together with his gleeful bad man in the old west. Family-friendly groaners and laughs galore. Fun stuff. Look for cameos from Penny Marshall, John Ritter and Ed Begley Jr.

As usual, see the round-up of offerings over at Todd's blog.

3 comments:

Todd Mason said...

John Astin's whole career, some days, seems like it was devoted to bringing something to nothing...when he actually had something to work with, even better. I'm not sure I've seen this one...pretty sure I haven't, in fact. (One small reward for him via his characters...on ST. ELSEWHERE, he played a guy married to France Nuyen's character.)

Todd Mason said...

What brought this one to mind?

K. A. Laity said...

It came up in conversation recently -- maybe at AltFiction? Not sure. I should do the doco next week that featured Astin, too, that we always got in art class. If only I could find info on it...