Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Mardi Gras/Year of the Rat

Down in New Orleans, they're getting the floats ready. I can enjoy the pleasant thought of the fun without much regret, as the crowds alone are enough to keep me away.

Chinese New Year is coming up and it's my year! Yes, I was born under the sign of the rat -- a better thing in Chinese culture than in American, I suppose. According to at least one site:

Clever and quick-witted, the Rat of the Chinese Zodiac is utterly disarming to boot. Possessed of excellent taste, this Sign flaunts its style at every turn. Its natural charm and sharp, funny demeanor make it an appealing friend for almost anyone. The Rat likes to know who is on its side and will treat its most loyal friends with an extra measure of protection and generosity.

Of course on the other hand, it also says:

Behind that sweet smile, though, Rats are keen and unapologetic promoters of their own agendas. This Sign is motivated by its own interests, which often include money; greed can become a problem if the Rat isn't careful to keep its priorities straight. This Sign's natural powers of charm and persuasion can definitely come in handy!

Okay, so something to watch out for, I guess. Although as I work on the promotional materials for Jane Quiet I figure I can let my inner rat run wild.

Of course, I'm disappointed to once again miss the Gorillaz's "Monkey: Journey to the West" which will be performed this week at the British Museum (one of my favorite places in the world). Waah! So, listening to the Gorillaz now (and thinking about the irony of being in Britain while Monkey is in Charleston).

No comments: