Wednesday, June 13, 2007

PC Woes

Well, the computer failed to turn on this morning. After a call to ITS and ten more tries, I finally got it on at least long enough to print out a) the document I needed for the meeting with my department chair and b) a notice for my lost gnome (sob).

So I ought to be blogging on zombies, but I don't much feel like it at the moment. I'm up at the top of the English Department where the English adjuncts normally roost, and a dark, sombre and poorly lit loft it is. As if being an adjunct didn't already suck. There aren't even any speakers so I cannot listen to the lovely blues CD by Joan Armatrading that my thoughtful brother bought me at her concert (and had signed!).

Instead, I'm thinking of Yeats and wonder to myself, WWYD? I think he would do thusly:

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.


Sounds like a plan.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gnome..gone? :(

C. Margery Kempe said...

There's still the one by the door to 423. Let's see if he lasts the summer. I might have to invest in new gnomes! Either that or change my campus website that directs students to look for the gnomes (the building featuring no signage to give any indication of being part of the College).

It's the gnome who had been hit by the door and smashed, so he was already in dire straits, having been glued back together at the gnome triage (AKA my office).

When I came back from my meeting my computer was gone, so let's hope it does not join the little gnome. I was tempted to smash it against the wall, but resisted and went home.

Bobby Kuechenmeister said...

Kate, I am sorry to hear about your PC problems, but I am able to relate. I keep telling my 256MB RAM Hewlett-Packard desktop that I will shoot it as a mercy-kill and replace it with an iMac, but somehow it continues living to see another day. Sooooooon...

C. Margery Kempe said...

Yeah, I love my little Powerbook G4, which has been reliable, portable and sweet all along (may it continue to be so for a long time). I suppose I can pick her up and drag her to my office, but that's what my office computer is supposed to be for! Why wear out my own laptop? I found out after the fact that it was possible to get a Mac at work, too, but I already had a PC by then. Ah well --

Hey, we finally got around to seeing The Mindscape of Alan Moore tonight. Very cool! I'm sure it will find some way into my PCA paper for next year, as well as being reviewed for the next issue of UATW. Some things work well -- just not that PC (although, have to admit, until I got back from England it was fine -- maybe it's cranky me!).

Bobby Kuechenmeister said...

Kate, did I miss hearing your paper in Boston? I am terribly sorry if that happens to be the case. I try my best each year to hear papers by people I know, but Boston brought many Texas A&M colleagues with me, so I remember having to miss some presentations I wanted to see in order to play nice.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Well, don't feel bad -- I missed yours, too. It's entirely possible that they overlapped, as I was giving a paper in the medieval area. I will probably be back in comics next year, although I have a special event to do in medieval (and of course, there ought to be a bunch of papers by other medieval scholars).

Next year, I plan to remember to ask that comics and medieval sessions don't overlap.