Thursday, May 04, 2006

At the 'Zoo

I'm writing this from fabulous Kalamazoo MI, about an hour from my home town. The big medieval congress is underway -- in fact, I've already given my paper on the medieval films Anchoress and Sorceress. I drove over yesterday from Detroit with my friend Faye Ringel from the Coast Guard Academy. We had a lovely dinner and then I dropped her at the hotel, assuming I would go over to the conference, check in and just relax. Of course, I ran into some UConn folks before I even got to check in and was persuaded to join them at Waldo's for some beer. I had a chance to catch up with people (inculding Chris Fee, whom I haven't seen for years). Everybody, of course, demanded to know why Gene wasn't with me -- maybe next year?

Funny thing -- this morning as Faye and I walked over the bridge on the pond, we not only saw the usual swans, carp and ducks, but a little turtle swam up to the surface. Before it had a chance to impart any revelations however, one of the swans tried to take a bite out of it and it quickly disappeared. Ah well!

Panels this afternoon, meeting up with folks from the evening panel at the wine hour. We'll head off for dinner then come back to discuss using medieval literature in fiction writing, which should be fun. I even brought a couple of copies of Pelzmanteljust in case.

More to come!

2 comments:

CL said...

Have you run into Meredith Clermont-Ferrand?

Tell her I said HI. :-)

C. Margery Kempe said...

Unfortunately, Meredith isn't here. She chose to go to Plymouth State and take some students instead. Pity! but I'm sure they had fun there. I met the new medievalist hired by Plymouth State -- we were on a panel together. Being closer soon, I told her that I had already planned to start getting some St. Rose students to go to Plymouth's conference.