Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Know-vember: Susan

Susan is the third of the Three Mothers with me and Mildred, Mater Suspiriorum. My cat Colette is buried in the backyard of her old house: that's the kind of friends we are. Small critters of all kinds know to trust her. Her home, consequently, is ruled by cats. Her home is an oasis for humans, too -- as long as they know the score. I love being there: kitties to cuddle, screened-in porch at night when it's cool for chatting and drinking, big screen tv for movies and friends who laugh along with Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and The Lost Skeleton Returns! The Three Mothers [plus significant others] Reunions are always a joyful respite. Here Susan is looking lovely at her niece's wedding along with her husband Ron (who's looking surprisingly calm and mayhem-free).



IMG_1060


1. What's the first thing you do upon waking in the morning?

Pour myself a cup of coffee and feed the cats. I know, that's two things but they're done simultaneously. Five "starving" moggies wait for no woman (or coffee).

2. What's a song you might be persuaded to dance to?

Almost anything. I used to go dancing a lot and had a dance partner for a while when I was "young" with whom I danced in competitions.

3. Where in the world do you live?

In the middle of the United States bible belt - central North Carolina. Thankfully though due to the influence of several major universities, our area is a fairly liberal and enlightened spot. Not sure I could stand it if it was more, uhm, rural (Trying to be polite).

4. What's a great night out for you?

A nice dinner, great conversation and a good bottle of wine.

5. What's a great night in?

See 4. :)

6. If you were offered an all expenses paid trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I have to pick just ONE?!?! Since it's all expenses paid, I'll pick the most expensive - China. Their ancient culture both repels and fascinates me. I would like to explore some of the old cities including the Forbidden City, see the Great Wall and visit the panda preserve. I'm an ancient history buff.   (Spent all day yesterday watching documentaries on ancient Egypt. :) ) 

7. What book do you wish everyone would read so you could talk about it?

The one book I keep going back to (can't really tell you why) is Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow.   The only science fiction novel that I have read where the aliens were truly ALIEN.  Plus, like Mary, I fell in love with Emilio the first time I read it.  The story is just heartbreaking due to the mistakes made by Emilio and the rest of the crew through trying to map human behavior on an alien culture.   That description isn't quite right (map human behaviour) but I can't summon the right words and emotions at the moment. 

8. What movie makes you cry?


Uh oh.  Gonna reveal my big secret here - it's a tie between Sophie's Choice and Starman.  I think I'll die happy if I never see Sophie's Choice again.

9. What makes you laugh?

My very silly significant other every day we're together. [Ed: I can attest to that. In abundance!]

10. Are there fairies at the bottom of your garden?

Oh most definitely.  They even have a village.

That's why they love your home, too!

No comments: