Thursday, December 10, 2009

BitchBuzz: Facebook Trains Us

My latest column for BitchBuzz is up. Sure, my greatest thrill is that I was able to work both Peter Cook and Groucho into the piece, but I am interested in the ways that we grow used to new technologies. Watching people cope with change is always instructive and I think the keepers of Facebook are getting smarter about the ways that they introduce change, because folks seldom like it. While I'm always concerned about the subtle machinations behind the façade, I hardly think the world of social media is as dire as some neo-Luddite academics think. Far from being the end of the world as we know it, I've found it does nothing but enhance my friendships and bring me new ones -- and besides, it makes feel bouncy bouncy. It's only a tool, after all -- it's how you wield it that matters.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's definitely a tool... especialyl when the damn thing freezes up. *g*

But really, I think it's a positive thing that they're always changing. People get too comfortable and stagnate and then they're left in the dark. If we're always adapting to things we use daily, it will make it easier to keep up with new medias and technology.

Of course, that would be a brilliant marketing plan to keep us pliable and eager for newness...

Unknown said...

I guess I am a tool as well because I can't spell "especially". #typefail

C. Margery Kempe said...

HA HA HA! Yes, indeedy. Spelling is so 20C ;-)

We live in a capitalist culture, so yes, people are going to try to use technology to exploit us economically -- but we can use the very same technology to resist their efforts.

Yes, adapting is good behaviour. It's what got us this far!