Monday, October 11, 2010

Kit Marlowe & The Big Splash

Today's the day! Kit Marlowe's debut novella is now available from Noble Romance. Here's the blurb:

It's London in the Jazz Age: the times are fast and the women faster. Constance Wynne Hare has men eager to throw themselves at her feet—so why does she pine for the one man who takes her for granted? 

I wrote this story in a rush last Christmas, inspired in equal parts by Winifred Watson (author of Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day) and P. G. Wodehouse, creator of Jeeves and Wooster. I tried to capture that same sense of madcap wildness, humor and adventure. It's such a sparkling era -- at least for the well-to-do. As I discovered in my research, the era produced its own Lady Gaga and a whole host of Bright Young Things. And yes, I hope to have more Constance and Collier stories.

All right, time to recover from Albacon and get work done. I'll write up my adventures when I get a chance. I got to hang out with a bunch of writer pals, sat on a couple of panels, sold some books and got some new ideas.

3 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Indeed...looking forward to reading this, and the con report...and isn't it almost always a sparkling era for the affluent? At least in their insulated eyries.

Hm...what is the closest thing we have to THE SMART SET these days...maybe TIN HOUSE...

Todd Mason said...

And I'll suggest it's a handsome cover, given how wrong photo covers can go...

C. Margery Kempe said...

Yes, well, good thing you didn't see the first cover [cringe]. At least with a small pub, you get to see the cover before it gets to print and -- more importantly -- they listen to your input.

I suppose by definition the affluent get the sparkle. I read a link about someone getting to be a writer in residence at the Savoy in London. Emerald with envy.