Saturday, August 02, 2008

50th Anniversary

It's my folks' 50th wedding anniversary today (so what picture could I find? Xmas 2005 with the bros and Brandy -- and the crackers already opened, I see). How much has changed since 1958: in that year, Wikipedia tells me, the peace symbol is designed as part of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Pope Pius XII makes Saint Clare the patron of television, Elvis gets inducted into the army (thus my mother was free to marry), the First Cod War begins between Britain and Iceland, and the Yankees beat the Milwaukee Braves in the World Series. Born that year: Jools Holland, Miranda Richardson, Rik Mayall, Gary Oldman, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Bruce Campbell, Madonna, Kate Bush, Jello Biafra and Jennifer Saunders. A busy year!

Hope you're having a great day!

2 comments:

Gene Kannenberg, Jr. said...

Yes indeed, Happy Anniversary! I'm thankful to have you both as my "in-laws" - or rather, my second set of parents. Have a wonderful day!

Wendy said...

Happy Anniversary!

(a note on the events of that year -- darn yankees!!)