Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Fare thee well, Honda!

Well, after sixteen years, I said good-bye to the best little car I have ever owned: my 1990 red hatchback Honda.



Over 200,00 miles and still running great, but she was a little worse for wear after all that time, and then there was the whole lack of air conditioning (a definite drawback down here in Houston). But a guy wanted it for his daughter -- one of the number of people who left notes on the car since we got down here asking to buy it. Made the selling fairly easy.

Lots of memories with that car! One year with Robert, and the rest with me, from Boston and Cambridge to Connecticut to Houston, with a few long drives to Michigan in between. I took some pictures to show things like my old Harvard Med parking sticker, the Whitby Dracula Experience sticker, and of course, Badtz Maru. And how about the old Carpe Noctem bumper sticker. And join me in singing the alma mater for Miskatonic U one last time. Gene even made a little film of them driving away (I was on campus trying to get packed, helped infinitely by the kindly Ann Diebel: thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!).

Change is inevitable -- there just seems to be a lot of it right now.

Kipper agrees. He's been hiding in little niches he has found, wondering what we're doing to his home. Here he is in calmer times. They'll be back soon -- just in another state.

3 comments:

The Queen said...

Wow, we both lost our lovely little red cars - the SheDemonMobile lost fifth gear & has 197K. I would have fixed her & used her until she was all done, but I commute too much.

Wanna buy a 1994 Nissan Sentra? All it needs is fifth gear... :)

Best of luck with your move!

QOE

CL said...

SO what are you driving now, Kate?

C. Margery Kempe said...

Pity about the SheDemonMobile, QOE! I know how sad it is to say goodbye to a car that has been part of your life for so long.

Cheryl -- we've got the Subaru Legacy that we bought when we got to Houston because the Honda has no AC and AC is not a luxury in Houston. Remember that heatwave in CT the year we left? Imagine that for nine months, only a LOT more humid...ugh!