Friday, April 28, 2006

New Publication: Puppetry International

Just arrived in the mail! I have an essay in the latest issue of Puppetry International on medievalism in Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker. I look at the ritual of the Punch and Judy show in the novel's post-apocalyptic setting, and how Hoban uses the relics of Canterbury Cathedral and the legend of St. Eustace as rendered in a medieval wall painting in the cathedral.

The magazine itself is a fascinating collection of articles on puppetry (naturally), a medium that proves amazingly varied. It really expands the idea of what can be done with puppets. There is a two page spread of the grants awarded by the Jim Henson Foundation that is simply stunning in the variety of works, although I was particularly intrigued by the Hotel Obligato Physical Theater's production of Punch's Progress.



Insert your swazzle and repeat after me: "That's the way to do it!"

1 comment:

Bobby Kuechenmeister said...

Yay! Congrats, Kate! I am hoping to use this summer and shape up a few term papers for potential journal publications. I am chasing after my first peer-reviewed publication to go with my two non-peer-reviewed articles.