Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Publication: Rothko Red

My flash fiction story, "Rothko Red", is published in the current issue of the FinNALA Newsletter. The Finnish North American Literature Association also publishes the lit mag Kippis, where my story "The Kantele" appeared.

There's nothing Finnish about this story other than of course the author's heritage. Well, perhaps the mood of melancholy could be seen as somewhat Scandinavian/Baltic (depending on where you fit Finland, opinions vary). I wrote this while sitting in the room with all the Rothkos at the Tate Modern (my favourite museum in the world) and thinking about the wonderful contemplative ambiance the paintings give and what sort of person might need that magic very much.

Some of the Rothkos are now over at the Tate Britain with the Turners to give a new perspective of that well-loved painter, especially his late work. So I spent more time at the Tate Britain this last visit -- there was a great Blake exhibit, too, that re-created his first exhibit.

And I nearly forgot: you can still hear the audio version of this story over at Radio Wombat.

3 comments:

marja-leena said...

Oh, great little story, Kate! And thanks for the link to Finnala, I didn't know of this, will enjoy the rest of it.
Have I told you how much I'm enjoying your Unikirja? I'm slowly reading each story at bedtime, relishing your fluid writing that sings of Finnish and Kalevala connections.

marja-leena said...

And, forgot to say, coincidentally I recently wrote about our Maytime visit to the Tate Modern, loved the Rothkos too.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Thank you, Marja Leena! I appreciate your kind words. I will have to go check out your post on the Tate Modern. What a wonderful museum!