Thursday, April 12, 2007

Waaah!


We didn't hear until this morning -- the world is a poorer place without his singular voice. Which was the first book for me? Maybe Slaughterhouse Five, maybe Sirens of Titan, but surely Breakfast of Champions was my introduction to the post-modern before I knew there was a name for it. I remember Emfinger writing in my high school yearbook, "Always read Vonnegut!" or something along those lines (along with all the other incendiary opinions we shared). One piece of advice I have always heeded over the years. Sigh. So it goes...

3 comments:

Susan said...

I heard about it while dressing for work today. My first reaction, stay home for my own personal day of mourning. However, that was not an option. *sigh*

He died as a result of brain injury from a fall. If the brain injury was that sever, perhaps this is a blessing from the ghods in disguise for him. I would have hated seeing him mentally impaired with the sardonic wit gone. I'm certain he would have hated it too.

Susan

C. Margery Kempe said...

I like to think of the injury as his attempt to spare himself thinking further about the sheer idiocy of the current administration and its futile war.

CL said...

...And so it goes.

When NPR was reporting it this morning, they quoted Vonnegut's famous line.

All I can think of is the Nick Lowe song.
"So it goes,
And so it goes,
And so it goes,
And so it goes,
The way it's going, nobody knows."

or something like that..

RIP, KV.