Friday, August 04, 2006

Touching Ancient Finland

Sunday I leave for Finland. Sometimes I just have to say it out loud! Actually, I frequently say it out loud because I still can't believe it. I have been working on a cycle of stories for a few years now that grew out of my readings in Finnish mythology, but I knew I had to see, smell and taste ancient Finland before I could feel they were complete. So I wrote up a grant application to that effect and -- surprise! -- The Finlandia Foundation gave me the money to make this dream real.

It will be interesting just getting there -- Metro North from Poughkeepsie, MTA to Queens, Air Train to the airport; let's hope it's not Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Particularly because when I get to Helsinki, I have to take a bus from the airport to the train station and then a train to Mikkeli. This where I'll get to see the rock paintings. I'm so excited!

After Mikkeli, I'll get to spend a few days in Helsinki where there are of course many things to do: museums to see, botanical gardens, UFF stores, the big Academic Bookstore, and of course, Moomins!

Only a week! It will go by so fast...

1 comment:

C. Margery Kempe said...

The joke's on me -- it's supposed to be 95F in Helsinki on Wednesday! Yikes -- but in the sixties at night, in theory. I hope it's not too hot.